Sunday, March 2, 2014

Yarny Goodness....

I've spent the last three days subbing at school in ISS (In School Suspension).  This is my favorite room to sub in as I have 7 hours of keeping kids on track with their homework while working quietly AND it allows me time to work on small craft projects or to read a book.  Some of the crafts I'm showing photos of below are ones that I worked on at school, but not all of them.  The bigger projects stay at home.
 I finished up the 9th block for the Knit A Block A Week Challenge.  This is another block worked in Caron's Simply Soft yarn called Light Country Peach.
 I also crocheted a Skateboarder Beanie for my nephew, Jarrod.  This is a free pattern and can be found by clicking here .  I used Caron's Simply Soft yarn in Grey Heather and a size H crochet hook.
 I've been knitting on the White Knitted Baby Blanket.  I have the first (partial) skein of Caron's One Pound Baby yarn (in White) knitted up now.  I'm ready to attach a second skein.  This one is a full skein though.
 My sister, Annie, finished her potholder.  It's not perfect but that's ok.  She's just learning to knit.  After I explained the issues with this item, she was able to figure out a few things and has already started on a square.  She's bound and determined to knit up a bunch of squares for a blanket now.  I would say that a Knitter has been born.
 I found a pattern for a baby blanket that I really like.  It's called the Crochet Basket Weave Baby Blanket.  The free pattern can be found here .  I started working the blanket up and this photo shows what it looks like after I've added a whole skein of Caron's Simply Soft yarn in Soft Pink.  I got 16 1/2 rows of the pattern out of one skein of yarn.  I'm not happy with that.  Plus, the blanket was REALLY HEAVY.  That's not what I was hoping for either.  So I ripped it out and balled the yarn back up.  I'm not giving up on this pattern though.  I'm going to try it again but in a different type of yarn.  I've got some Bernat Baby and I think a sport weight yarn might be ok as far as the finished weight of it.
 Last night, I spent some time with the Earth Tones Knitted Throw.  I hadn't worked on it for about a week.  Poor thing.  Being neglected like that.  I ended up adding more than 20 rows to this throw before I put it down again.
Finally, I started another crochet project.  I've been thinking and thinking about making another blanket for quite some time now.  I've had a basic idea of what I was looking for, but I had to just finally figure it out and start on it.  I'm using yarn from my stash....Red Heart Super Saver in Turqua and Cherry Red.  I'm using a size I crochet hook.  It's my favorite.  Basically, using the Turqua yarn, I chained 4, then joined to form a ring.  Then I chained 3, worked 2 dc, ch 2, 3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc, ch 2, join with a sl st, switching over to the Cherry Red yarn.  Then you just work a basic granny square.  I use a ch 2 between the dc's in the corner.  I worked 1 round of Turqua and 5 rounds of Cherry Red.  All of my squares will look like this.
So...that's my crafting update for the end of the week.

2 comments:

  1. I love your earth tones throw. It's going to be a stunner when it's finished. All your work is well planned and it's exciting to see the first project of a new knitter. Woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete