Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Dinner Menu - Wed. and Thurs.

Tonight (Wed.), we are having Spaghetti and Meat Sauce with a salad.  I'm including a recipe for Basic Pasta Sauce below.

Tomorrow (Thurs.), we are having homemade Chicken Noodle Soup.
I'll include how I make this too.  Check below the Pasta Sauce Recipe.

Basic Pasta Sauce for 8 servings













2 Tbsp. olive oil
2 onions, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
4 (8 oz.) cans of tomato sauce
2 tsp. dried oregano
salt and pepper to taste
2 c. water

In a large skillet over medium heat, saute onion and garlic in the olive oil for about 5 minutes.  Be careful not to let these burn.  Make sure the heat is low enough.
Add tomato sauce, oregano, salt & pepper and water.  Lower heat to simmer and cook until it thickens; about 30 minutes.

**Note:  This recipe is not low-sodium. I make it low-sodium by using no salt added or low sodium tomato sauce and I don't use salt.**

Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup

This is a pretty basic recipe.  You can dress it up to suit your tastes.

Chicken
Carrots
Vermicelli or Egg Noodles
Seasonings of your choice
Any extra vegetables that you like

First, I cook a few pieces of chicken in water on the stove top.  Then, I remove the chicken, let it cool, and de-bone it.  Keep the broth that's in the pan.  Skim off any fat.  Add more water if necessary and bouillon if you like.  I don't add the bouillon as I'm keeping it low sodium.
Then, I heat the broth back up and add a few finely chopped carrots.  Cook for a few minutes then add the chicken back in the pot.  Add in noodles.  You can use egg noodles or vermicelli that's been broken into pieces.  Cook until the noodles are done. Sometimes I also add fresh baby spinach leaves that I've cut into strips.  My husband I really like this.
You can add any seasonings that you like.  I tend to experiment a bit so you never know what I will put in the soup.
That's it.

No comments:

Post a Comment