Wednesday, August 29, 2012

The "No Holes" Dc Square - Free Pattern

I'm one of those people that loves many types of crafting.  In fact, I love quilts but I don't make them.  
 This quilt looks like a Jigsaw Puzzle, doesn't it?  And puzzle pieces are one of the symbols of autism.  I have a family member with Asperger's, and this quilt really calls to me.  Enough that I'm going to try and create it in a crochet version.  That being said, I've been experimenting with squares.  In the end, I made up my own as I'm wanting a certain type of look...with no holes in the square, but not made with a sc stitch.
 This is the square that I came up with.  It's got a good "solid" look to it and it's about 4 1/2 inches square.
 I made several of these squares, just to be sure that the pattern was tested before posting it.  As you all know, I like to share my patterns.  So, without further ado....here's the pattern.

The "No Holes" Dc Square - Free Pattern 
Worsted Weight yarn (I used Red Heart Super Saver)
I crochet hook

ch 4.  
1- work 11 dc in 4th ch from hook.  join with a sl st to the 3rd ch of the beg ch 3.
2- ch 3.  dc in next st.  work 5 dc in next st.  *dc in next 2 sts, work 5 dc in next st.  repeat from * around.  join with a sl st to the 3rd ch of the beg ch 3.
3- ch 3.  dc in next 3 sts.  work 5 dc in next st.  *dc in next 6 sts.  work 5 dc in next st.  repeat from * around.  dc in last 2 sts.  join with a sl st to 3rd ch of beg ch 3.  fasten off.


Now, if you'd like a 5 inch square (like the one pictured above), just add another row as follows:
4- instead of fastening off yarn at the end of round 3, ch 1.  sc in next 5 sts.  3 sc in next st.  *sc in next 10 sts.  3 sc in next st.  repeat from * around.  sc in last 4 sts.  join with a sl st to beg ch 1.  fasten off.

I hope you all enjoy this pattern.  It's fairly simply and works up fast.  :)  

3 comments:

  1. Omg..it works!☆ Tysm. I'm making my 1st granny square blanket w/ no pattern, just basic squares. In my mind I see 4 corners having a 'solid no-holes whatsoever' square but every pattern I've found online had a form of holes. I'm so happy I found this. I also added a 5th row to match my other squares size. it's just DC stitches with typical corners. it works perfectly with this newbie crochet blanket and I owe you for saving my sanity. Bless and thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can this be made to a no holes hexagon shape just curious

    ReplyDelete