Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Fast Easy Crochet Baby Blanket

I tell you...I sit here looking at these photos and I'm thinking...I have got to get some inspiration when I'm having a project photo shoot.  Could these be any more boring?  The blanket is extremely cute and you can't see that in these photos.  I think I need to do some research and ask Small T for some tips on photography.
 In any event, this is my latest completed project (finished on Sunday).  The Fast Easy Crochet Baby Blanket.  The free pattern can be found here http://crochet.about.com/od/babypatterns/a/fast-easy-crochet-baby-blanket-for-beginners.htm .  The blanket is worked in ch and sc stitches.  That's it.  I think the stitch combination used in the pattern is also referred to as the moss stitch.
My blanket measures 33 inches wide by 41 inches tall.  I used Caron's Simply Soft yarn in Soft Blue and Chocolate.  It took 2 1/2 skeins of the soft blue and just over 1 skein of the chocolate.  I used a size I crochet hook.
I have a couple of observations to share with you in regards to the making of this blanket:
1.  If you don't like using the sc stitch, then this blanket will be boring for you.  It takes awhile to see progress.  I like projects that show results fairly quickly.
2.  If you have trouble keeping a steady tension on your projects, then this blanket might present problems.  I  noticed that I was off on my tension about 1/3 of the way through.  The blanket was getting tighter as I went.
3.  Now, a positive note....I love the whole zig zag effect created when changing yarn color.
4.  This is the perfect blanket for young children and babies as it's not full of holes for their little fingers to get caught in.
If I was asked to make this blanket again, I would do it.  I really do like it!  And it's exceptionally easy to make.

2 comments: