Thursday, March 15, 2012

Mexican Pizza

Tuesday, while I was waiting for Big Daddy to be released from the hospital, he and I were talking about our plans for dinner that night (ie: what to make). We had also just talked about Taco Bell. Big Daddy said, "why don't we try to make those Mexican Pizza's that Taco Bell sells at home?". I thought that was a good idea too.
So, I stopped at Wal-Mart on the way out of town and bought hamburger, refried beans, another jar of salsa, some taco seasoning, and a bag of flour tortillas. I already had shredded cheese, tomatoes, onions and lettuce at home.

These are the basic ingredients. I also added lettuce, tomato, and chopped onion.

The first thing I did was to brown the hamburger and then drain it. Then I added the taco seasoning and let it simmer.

Then I started to crisp up the flour tortillas by frying them up in a pan of canola oil.

Here is what the tortillas were looking like after being "crisped".
I also heated up the refried beans, chopped the onion and tomato, and shredded some lettuce.

This is what "my" Mexican Pizza looked like. I let everyone make their own, so they all looked different.
For mine, I took the first tortilla and spread it with refried beans. Then I added some taco meat, salsa and shredded cheese. I put another tortilla on top of that then added some more shredded cheese. I microwaved it for about 1 min. 30 sec. and added my toppings...salsa and chopped onion and tomato.
It tasted really, really good and I'm very glad my husband suggested that we try making these at home!

No comments:

Post a Comment