Friday, November 5, 2010

Pattern To Share - Kitchen Sponges













I have seen a few kitchen sponge patterns out there on the internet but they didn't exactly fit my idea of what I wanted to make. So...I made my own pattern up.
Supplies:
1 ball Sugar 'n Cream cotton
size G crochet hook
4.7 inch x 3.0 inch cellulose sponge
Directions:
(You need to make 2 of these)
ch 20
Row 1: sc in 2nd ch from hook, and in each ch across. ch 1, turn.
Rows 2-12. Repeat Row 1.
At the end of Row 12, after the ch 1, sc evenly down the side and around the edge of the rectangle, putting 3 sc in each corner. Join with a slip stitch into the 1st sc of the round, fasten off.
With right sides facing, holding the two pieces together, sc around the first two edges (putting 3 sc in each corner). As you sc on the third edge, insert the sponge inside the pocket being formed. This will be fairly tight. Continue to sc around until you have encased the sponge inside the two pieces. Join with a sl st to the beginning sc. Fasten off. Weave in ends.
Note: If you crochet really tight, you will probably need to add a second round of sc to each piece at the end of Row 12.
You can get two of these out of one ball of Sugar 'n Cream cotton. Possibly a third.
This is my own pattern that I wrote up. If it is similiar to someone else's, I didn't know it when I was writing this up. This pattern is free.

To care for the sponge, you can do what I do. Just throw it in the washing machine with the towels but don't dry in the dryer.

No comments:

Post a Comment