Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is just two days away. The kids are on vacation at school until Monday now. The ladies and I at work, worked super hard the past two days and we got everything done plus some, so we do not have to work tomorrow. We are also off Thanksgiving as well as Friday. So it's a five day weekend for me. Yippee!
Tomorrow, husband and two of the kids and I are doing some errands out of town.....pharmacy, cellular provider shop, Wal-Mart, etc.. We have to pick up medications, pick up a repaired cell phone and turn in the loaner, and then do a variety of things at Wal-Mart. I would also like to go to Dollar General but I can't remember what it is that I'm looking for. I will surely remember when I've had time to let my brain think.
Tomorrow afternoon, we will start in on the cooking for Thanksgiving Day. I'm making 24 Hour Salad, cooking the hams so we can slice them up and reheat them on Thursday, baking the pies, and making the hot rolls. That's a lot to do, but it will be ok as I don't want to do it all on Thursday morning. We'll be cooking the turkey then and making all the side dishes as well. Those sides are mashed potatoes and gravy, noodles, stuffing, corn, green beans, and deviled eggs. I've probably left something out. LOL
Thanksgiving Day is a family day for us as we also like to watch the Macy's Day Parade, watch football games, and eat. LOL I also like to try and fit in a viewing of "White Christmas" before the evening is over. It's my favorite Christmas movie and we've watched it almost every year since I was a kid on Thanksgiving Day.
We will be having some company for dinner as well. My mom, of course, as well as my Uncle, and who ever else shows up. That makes a total of 11 so far when you count my sister and her three kids that live with us.
Hope everyone has a happy and wonderful Thanksgiving holiday!

I wanted to share my recipe for 24 Hour Salad. It's a family favorite that my sister-in-law has made for years.

24 Hour Salad

Head of Lettuce
Head of Cauliflower
Head of Broccoli
Onion
1 lb. bacon
3/4 C. Parmesan cheese

Dressing:
2 c. mayonnaise (small jar of Hellman's)
1/2 c. sugar

Tear lettuce into pieces. Break off the cauliflower and broccoli heads. Chop onion. Fry bacon until crisp and break into pieces.

Layer in a big bowl as follows:
Lettuce
Cauliflower
Broccoli
Onion
Bacon pieces

Sprinkle parmesan cheese over the top. Mix dressing and spread over the top of the parmesan cheese. Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours. Stir just before serving. If you stir it too early, it will get "soupy" too fast. You don't want that.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment