Sunday, November 8, 2009

Crochet Lip Balm/Chapstick Holder

A couple of weeks ago, I wrote my first crochet pattern. It's for a lip balm/chapstick holder. I am giving three of these out as gifts to some of my nieces at Christmas time. I thought they were really cute and interesting so I wanted to share my pattern with everyone. Here it is. If there are any mistakes, please feel free to let me know. I went back and tested it by making another holder, but I could always still make a mistake.

lip balm/chapstick holder

small amount of worsted weight yarn.
size I hook.
button
needle and thread
key ring

ch 2.
row 1: work 8 single crochet in 2nd ch from hook. join with sl st to first sc made.
rows 2 - 10: ch 1, 1 sc in each sc around. join with sl st to first sc made. at the end of the last row, after sl stitching to join to the first sc made, ch 1.
row 11: sc in the next 4 st. ch. 1. turn.
rows 12-16: repeat row 11.
row 17: sc in the first st, ch 2, sc in the last st, ch 1. turn.
row 18: sc in first sc, 2 sc in ch 2 space, sc in last sc, ch 1. do not turn.
sc evenly down the side of the "flap" then around the top of the "circle" then backup the other side of the "flap". sl st to join in the first sc of row 15 which is the last row of the flap.
finish off. weave in ends.
insert chapstick into the holder, fold flap over, figure out where the button hole meets the front of the holder and mark the spot where you need to sew on a button. then sew on the button.

i'm going to attach a key ring to the holder so it can be hung inside of my daughter's backpack so she won't lose it. or she can hang it inside her purse.

No comments:

Post a Comment